Mantality
Electronic Cigarette Store

Temper tantrums and hissy fits. Who's the boss now??

Posted by L K


Neither Chris, nor I am the boss in this house anymore. The Master of this house is called Zander. He took over our lives completely and he's not even eight months old yet. He's got quite a temper for such a young, little man.


Nothing gets done without his consent anymore. Everything we might decide to do depends on him.

All of you with small children probably went through the same phase? (I sure as hell hope so; otherwise we're doing something terribly wrong with raising Zander.)

Zander started throwing tantrums.

Not the "fall on the floor and spin around as fast as you can" ones yet, but impatient, screaming fits.

When he wants something and he doesn't get it immediately, he screams out his disapproval and impatience and goes red in the face with anger. I'm sure it will only get worse. To me it's quite funny and I cant help but laugh at him when he does that, after which he joins me in laughing at him, which results in me laughing more and giving him probably the wrong message of approval?

I'm worried that it may become a problem when he's older and that this is just a first warning sign of what's to come? Maybe I'm laughing because I don't know how to handle the situation? I don't know what to do about it. How do I teach him that he can't always have what he wants in a nice way?

Any advice?

2 comments:

  1. Karen du Toit said...

    Hi LK I think we all worry about it. Is that not what Margot (http://joumaseblerrieblog.blogspot.com/2009/11/enter-era-of-one-loud-shriek.html) is also talking about? The best maybe is to ignore?

  2. Margot said...

    HI LK! Just saw your comment on my blog and came here to check it out. Felix did this clenched-first-red-face thing about that age too! And we couldn't help laughing. It seemed to defuse everything because he wasn't VERY angry. I think the best is to dostract during a huge tanty. Felix os now obsessed with being outside and playing with the hosepipe, and complains bitterly when it's time to go back in. It does get me down especially if I am not feeling strong - but I know losing it myself is so wrong (but sometimes I want to!)
    Anyhow. I think at this age our kids are too young to have developed the skills of frustration control. Here's a lovely, intelligent parenting site I have found whose latest post is all about this:
    http://bedtiming.typepad.com/bed-timing/2009/11/get-back-to-play-and-learn-some-selfcontrol-johnny.html