Mantality
Electronic Cigarette Store

Losing a baby

Posted by L K

My cousin had a baby just a month after Zander was born, his name is Tristan. He is about 4 months old now. In the beginning of her pregnancy my cousin had German Measles. Doctors recommended that she has an abortion, but she decided to keep her baby, something I really admire. Tristan was born at about 24 weeks and only weighed 1.6 Kg. My cousin doesn't have medical aid, so Tristan was born in a state hospital, and South Africa is known for their bad state hospitals. Tristan and my cousin was discharged after a few days. The first time I saw Tristan I was very shocked at his size. He was so tiny! I couldn't believe the hospital discharged him, as in a private hospital the baby doesn't get discharged if he weighs less than 2.5 Kg. But it seemed Tristan was just fine and had no obvious problems...

Up until a few days ago...

My cousin called to tell me Tristan was in the hospital with influenza and that the doctors also picked up that there's something wrong with his heart. The doctors apparently said they're going to concentrate on healing his influenza first, and then they'll see what they can do about his heart.
Yesterday my cousin called me, crying uncontrollably, to tell me that the doctors told her Tristan was going to die, but they don't know when. Because of the German Measles she had early in pregnancy, he has brain damage and also a heart problem and there's nothing they can do for him. They also told her, should another baby come in who has a better chance of survival, they will move Tristan out of ICU and let him die. That is the way it is in South African state hospitals. I can't imagine how my cousin must feel! She also lost another baby boy a few years ago, a few days after his birth.

How does a mother go on with life after she lost a child?........... :-(

2 comments:

  1. Karen du Toit said...

    Very sad story!! PLease keep us updated.

  2. L K said...

    Tristan was discharged last week after a heart operation. He is permanently on oxygen though, but making great progress!